Freedom As a Word

Freedom, as a word, insight many meanings, to many people. We hear of freedom from debt, freedom from persecution, freedom to seek life, liberty and the hope of the future. Many see freedom given from their army's and military might. Many put their trust in their military, many put their trust in governments to let freedom ring. Freedom is; "Freedom from restraint, in a general sense, and applicable to the body, or to the will or mind.

The body is at liberty, when not confined; the will or mind is at liberty, when not checked or controlled. A man enjoys liberty, when no physical force operates to restrain his actions or volitions. Exemption from fate, necessity, or any constraint in consequence of predetermination or otherwise; as the freedom of the will. A state of exemption from the power or control of another; liberty; exemption from slavery, servitude or confinement.

Freedom is personal, civil, political, and religious." Freedom from past sins; "Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities." Freedom to be recreated; "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." Freedom to call upon the name of the Lord; "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Freedom to be restored; "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit."

Freedom to teach the truth; "Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee." Freedom from The guilt, or crime, of shedding blood; "Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness." Freedom to praise the Lord; "O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise." Freedom from the Law, and flesh sacrifices; "For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering."

Freedom to choose; "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." (Psa 51:9-17.) "The body is at liberty, when not confined; the will, or mind, is at liberty, when not checked or controlled." Freedom is a gift given to all by the sacrifice of His Son Jesus. Without God we would have no liberty, no freedom, and no hope. God grants us freedom to seek, adore, and worship Him.

We must not confuse the freedom of the body with the freedom of the spirit. The body may be contained, jailed, or even killed, but the spirit is never confined, but loose from all manner of guilt, condemnation, and control. Our freedom from guilt, and sin, allows us to fly as an eagle, swim to the depths of the sea, and traverse the darkest valley.